Pages

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Last Thursday

Tomorrow we leave for Utah.  Cali came home from her last day at Costco and finished up her packing.

We then headed out for one last evening of fun before she went back to school.

Our home teacher, Gary Nees, loves exploring fun and funky places in Portland as much as we do.  Tonight he introduced us to two  new fun places.

We picked Gary up (Sara couldn't join us because she had a RS event) and we headed across the river to North Portland.  We were having dinner at Christophers.  Christopher's definitely fits the description of a hole in the wall.  But we have discovered that holes in the wall usually have the best food and this was no exception.


Christopher's is a BBQ joint.  I had also read on the internet that they had amazing Philly Cheese steaks so that is what I had and so did Jim.  Gary and the girls had ribs and even though my cheese steak was delicious  I wish I had had the ribs.  They were amazing.

The red velvet cake looked pretty amazing too but we refrained but I regretted it later.


I tried to get Gary to smile but this was as good as I got...
From Christophers we headed over to the Last Thursday held on Alberta Street.  They close down the street for about 20 blocks and there are vendors and street performers of every shape and size.  I think it is from the Last Thursday that the phrase "Keep Portland Weird" originated.

We saw all kinds of weird and wonderful things!
There were lots of muscians and street performers.  Some of them were actually even good.


Then there were those who thought they could dance....
 I loved the gal selling aprons from her wagon....

And then there was the guy painting in the middle of the street....


I loved the little girl telling jokes for money....
and the hula hoopers were quite good too....

I thought the girls dressed up like gnomes should get an award for the quirkiest get ups....
And I absolutely loved the bronzed fairies.  When Jim gave them some money they curtsyed for him.
We had lots of fun watching and listening....

Portland is definitely a weird and wonderful place!  Thanks Gary for introducing us to even more of it!

No comments: